Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I AM 18

I just wanted pen down a few revelations I discovered in the wake of turning 18. (Well am writing this nearly 6 months after I turned 18.) It’s a whole new world for me, but it hasn’t really changed much for our pot bellied politicians, how does it matter to them if a fresh bunch of vigorous Indians hit the floor to take over the future of India, nor did it matter much to my college lecturers, except for a bunch of fresh faces sweeping in and out the corridors of the department. Well the point here is it matters to me that I turned 18, even if it does not register as an event to the rest of the world, and that now am legally entitled a citizen of India and bestowed on me the freedom, it definitely is a hell lot of a big deal to me. The time I ferried across so far in my 18 years or in the 18’th year in specific has taught me a few new things, that my mom missed out for me to experiment and learn myself and it has eluded certain preconceived notions out of me, leaving me facing a new horizon and hopes of distinct voyages.

If you are wondering what’s in this bandwagon that’s blaring a lot? Then I would say nothing more than the silly teenage quip that’s doing rounds with most of the urban youth but this one is with a personalized and customized touch. I would rather call it my confession or my short biography of triumphs and failures. (If you are wondering why on Earth you are reading a biography of SOME teenager blabbering her private affair public! I would say that you are reading the human mind, and it is surely worth exploring be it any ones for that matter.)

A couple of months before turning 18, I joined an engineering college. (Definitely not THE KIND I dreamed of going to, nevertheless it isn’t that bad after all, only if I turn a blind eye to the conservative ways prevailing in the place.) It was set in a completely different backdrop. I was strictly warned by my mother that my every move would be monitored by my prying relatives or for that matter the rumor mongers in the college who have nothing better do to than to bother other people. Little did I know how true she was and with in no time I found ample of eyes hounding me in every direction. Probably my denial of doctrine made by male chauvinistic society led me to be in the spotlight, and my every step was mocked at. (Oh please am not a sissy and neither am I brooding over the unwanted attention I am getting, however annoying it is.) I realized that they are framed in a fixed mould and despise anyone made of different craftsmanship. (I wonder how reliable those surveys are which claim the globalizing attitude of Indian youth who are ready for a change!) My bubble of a ‘wanna be’ kind of society burst and I had to bend my head and mute my voice many at times to be in the flock. It was the first time that I had to live away from my parents in a hostel. It is probably my first leap out of my safe and well protected cocoon with my parents. This surely has taught me quite a few things, the pros and cons of living on your own. (I hate to fold my clothes, yet am a little glad that I don’t have to hear mom screaming at me for my prolonged conversations over the phone.) Just as my 18’th birthday was round the corners I was swarmed by a group of people whom I could call my friends in the college.( I wasn’t really sure for how long my crowned friends were going to stick together, that is until no new controversy propped up between us or at least until we were not found bitching about each other behind the back and least of all until we didn’t see each other as a potential threat to our own career and popularity- oh common guys face it that’s how it works these days. ’yeh dosti hum nahi chodenge’ kind of species have become extinct.) Thanks to these people who have so to say helped me trim myself to fit the suit tailored by the college folks. (I meant taming myself to the ways of the college.) As the old saying goes ‘compromise won’t last long’, I couldn’t hide my farce of being this submissive lass for a long time. At times I exploded with fits of anger at my fellow mates and ended up using the taboo ‘roadies tongue’ (well the folks featured in roadies are considered to be the ‘stay away from my kid’ kinds for most of the parents.) After coming out of school I realized that the India that’s been blown in the media and the youth that’s been featured in MTV actually don’t make the bulk of India. The true color of India is what I’ve seen in my college where people recoil to an outspoken woman voicing her views without any inhibitions. So it was again another alarm bell for me to keep my language and the content of my speech in check, not to give my grandmother or my aunt a heart attack at least.(bless me, my mom understands me in this matter and I’ve no qualms with her.)



Folks i think i'll end the post here...not because am running out of words...but running out of space...there is so much that i wana spill here...so taking Chetan Bhagat , Tushar Raheja n the likes as my inspiration i wana pen down the journey of my engineering life into a book too....so readers if u really find it interesting keep waiting for the next installment...and for those of you who r happy that it's over here go home and watch ekta kapoor's daily soaps...[:P]

3 comments:

Dheeraj said...

mmhhh....a good one....but i dont think our college environment is so ludicrous and posioned chalice as u picture it to be.....though i dont know what actually happened with you....n what actually is in your mind....
n i understand that its "college through your eyes"...n is a blended mixture of ur feelings... i m happy to hear that your planing to write a book....all d best...i ll b waiting for the next post...gud work

sahityav said...

col... thers gud n bad... im glad im nt admist such narrow minded ppl, atleast my frnds aint.

its ok darlin... jus take d best of it cos nuthing s perfect

’yeh dosti hum nahi chodenge'
n i mean it re..wil always b thr fr u... always!

nivedita said...

oooh honey i knw....i can neva 4gt all those silly things v've been up2...n yeh "yeh dosti han nahi chodenge" suits us well isnt it...[;)]
love u pal....i just miss ur presence beside me dats it othrwise am still connected 2 u though...[:)]